Wednesday 15 May 2013

Noob Challenge 7 Progress

Unfortunately due to other responsibilities it has been some days since I was able to get back into flow with the Polycount noob challenge.

Spent a day unwrapping the gatehouse I had modeled previously. A whole day. Seems like a waste but it is necessary and perhaps it is something I could look into speeding up.

Today I then began working my way through 3DMotive's Foliage Tutorial series which has an amazing looking end product, although I do have to question some of the methods. Methods such as creating the grass using TurboSmoothed objects for grass and then replicating them and editing them to be unique before generating several maps from it such as colour variation and highlights which were then placed onto a low poly plane. There was nothing with the result, however the whole time I kept on thinking to myself, "I could just paint this in photoshop". Although I have enjoyed it and I've learnt a lot so far and I'm possibly only half way through the tutorial series such as branching within 3DS Max to quickly great branches or tendrils or anything like that and I'm quickly becoming a fan of using the FFD modifiers to quickly modify objects slightly.

So I'm currently in the process of making some trees, I have just finished making my first branch and my 4 leaf variations with them all unwrapped (although lazily)leaving me to paint them on next which I;m excited to learn.

Leaves Unwrap

Grass Render

Grass Wireframe

A branch



No comments:

Post a Comment